9 litres cold water in a big bucket
½ packet (25g) cream of tartar
½ packet (25g) tartaric acid
2 boxes whole dried ginger (if you can’t find, then I’d say fresh root about the size of your palm x 2)
1½ kg white sugar
1 teaspoon dry yeast
- Dissolve yeast in a little lukewarm water.
- To cold water in bucket, add sugar, cream of tartar, tartaric acid and dissolved yeast.
- Stir well till everything has dissolved.
- Cover ginger and raisins with cold water and boil for 10 minutes.
- Add to bucket mix. Stir again.
- Cover bucket and stand for at least 8 hours.
- Sieve well. Bottle and seal.
- Keep in fridge. Make sure to release the pressure regularly by loosening the bottle lid.
— ETHEL MORRISON (1927-2015)